Monday 15 February 2010

1950's retro Simplicity dress

So, here's my first attempt at sewing with a pattern since Home Economics in year 10 where I made a pair of disastrous shorts that split up the back the first time I wore them. Ahh, simpler times...

Anyway, it's made using Simplicity pattern 3673 in case anyone wants to have a go themselves and I would definitely recommend it! As a total pattern noob, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this pattern wasn't written in ancient Greek and, bar the odd sentence or two, was easy enough to follow with one eye on the pattern, one eye on Breakfast at Tiffany's. A couple of stages didn't make sense until nearer the end, but the only one that seemed to matter was the part with the darts on the bust. What makes this dress doubly satisfying is that it's made with wool mix tartan that I bought at a car boot sale for £1.50! I already had the pattern, lining material and zip so this dress was the very best in thrift.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's the one on the left of the pattern in case you're not sure. I'm planning on making the one in the centre for Frances' wedding, fabric shopping ahoy!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Sareth said...

It's so pretty! I'm an a real dress kick at the moment. I bought 6 on ebay!

Unknown said...

Wow, 6, that's awesome! You'll have to link to photos so I can see!