Tuesday 20 September 2011

New purchases. GASP!

Remember way back when, The Great Wardrobe Sort of 2010? I know it wasn't the most exciting of posts, but it definitely helped me gain a hold on what was quickly becoming a ridiculous mess of a wardrobe and helped pull me away from the I-dress-entirely-from-charity-shop-clothes-that-don't-suit-or-fit-me look. Which, as we can all agree, not the sexiest of looks.

Photobucket
From Dune

Well, in a break from my normal crafting, thrifting chat, I'd like to briefly mention some things I've bought new recently. GASP! That's right, NEW. I feel guilty, don't get me wrong, and I have no intentions of dropping my second-hand/handmade/refashioned clothes campaign, but since starting back at uni, the time has come for a slightly more attractive, work-based, less scruffy look to emerge. And I have to say, I'm enjoying it.

Photobucket

From Zara

It's really nice putting on shoes in the morning that fit. Actually fit. Because I bought them in a real shop, not online where I had to take a guess as to the size. I can walk around in them all day without them pinching my toes. This is AWESOME. They're exactly the look I want, they suit me, not some idealistic imagined version of myself that I carry around in my head. I feel fashionable, but still myself. It's amazing.

Photobucket
Also from Dune. There was a girl in this shop carrying a chihuahua. In a shop! Madness.

Of course, being me and therefore an obsessive planner, I'm already thinking in my head the things I want to make or buy to go with these fabulous new purchases. But for once, I'm going to relax and not make plans for the future of my wardrobe. Because really, it's not important. And if I've learned one thing since making that first post about sorting my wardrobe, it's that my style is still constantly evolving and there's no point making plans, I'll only end up deviating from them. I'm enjoying this newfound confidence in myself and my body and my style.

I'm not going to wax lyrical for too long, it's boring for everyone else reading it, but I'm embracing my new-found purchases and not letting myself feel too guilty for their environmental and social impact. Of course, I'm going to have to alter one of the jumpers waiting in my stash this weekend, just to counteract this break from the norm...

No comments: